06 November 2008

brittle

dsc_0337a

I’m doing one of my favourite things - experimenting with something I’ve never done before. I love having a problem to solve! I’m putting together a gift for a fairy-loving child, so I am trying to make an eggshell cradle for a tiny fairy baby that I just finished (thought I’d make sure I had a baby before I made its bed). I’m not aiming for something that will stand up to rough play, but it must be usable. An omelette supplied two eggs to work with, so I’m scheming and getting flower petals and other materials ready as the shells dry.

This crow is a detail of a larger picture that I now think should be something else (i.e. not ink on paper). He’ll sit around for a while until I try him out in a collage, assemblage, or on some pottery. Maybe I’ll etch him onto metal, but I’m having trouble getting my hands on copper and nickel. The local sheet metal places don’t have anything I can use right now.

No comments: