30 September 2008

change of focus













Building is such a different mindset than locating materials, sometimes at first it is hard to not to wander off and explore yet another possible source of more parts. ( I am grateful that there are people who are willing to package up fiddly little broken bits and put the word out instead of throwing them in the trash - I hate breaking things, especially if they are old, and I need material to build with.) After resisting the urge to hunt and gather, it’s easy to go too far the other direction and find myself trying to build a tiny steam engine when I don’t actually need to power anything, it just needs to look like it’s possible. Finally, after cruising back and forth picking up, fitting together, rejecting parts and picking up others, I’ll have the pieces I think I need. A bit of a wrestle, trying to make them work in a way they were not engineered to do, then rivets and glue hold everything together. The next day I face the mass of boxes and trays and wonder how I ever got an idea for the last project.

The photo is one of the pack of dogs who keeps me company and reminds me to take long walks, this was the picture the shelter took when her previous owner turned her in. After a month of not eating the pound’s dog food she looked even worse, but nine months later she’s the pretty girl of the bunch. I’ll post a current photo later.

No comments: