21 August 2009

opera

opera

This is one of a few black and white pieces I’m working on.

I was talking with a very talented painter yesterday whose works range from notebook-size to barn wall-size. I know very few people who are comfortable working both very small and very large, and she modestly told me that working on something three times as tall as herself was not much of a challenge, that working small took much more skill. As someone who works exclusively on a small and smaller scale I can’t agree – I wouldn’t even know where to start on a big piece. I did do the one door-sized piece, but not only is that not terribly big, the composition was pure luck.

I adore huge paintings, if I could afford one of her larger pieces it would be worth getting rid of furniture to give it space. Actually, depending on which one I chose, I might just have to build the house around it. Which would be totally worth doing to have her painting of the Venus columns and l’abbaye-école (not on her website, sadly, and neither is the lovely ‘Icare’ which might require a small tower addition to the house). I just need to sell a bazillion of my small works, then I’ll get right to that.

No comments: