21 October 2008

ambition

I cook competently only because I love to eat good food. Every once in a while I’m sure if something were fixed, made available, or changed in some way, I would be motivated to spend more time in creative partnership with my 1950’s two oven, two broiler, six flame Gaffers & Sattler. That’s when I do things like pick up prickly pear trimmings some guy threw over his fence, cure them, and plant them because I love lentil stew with nopales and these prickly pear pads have fewer spines than your average prickly pear, so would be easier to prepare. The prickly pear hedge is now huge, because of course I still don’t cook nopales, but it did prevent the guy who was trying to cut the lock off the side gate from hiding when the nurse across the street got home at 2am one night last year, so I had good feelings about it until today when it tried to St. Sebastian me while I was trying not to startle this little guy. Hedge trimming is on tomorrow’s schedule.

No comments: