27 April 2010

work


Instead of working on art I am being a dutiful child and scanning ancient family photos, which takes a lot of time but is interesting. I hadn’t seen steam-powered tractors before, I like how complicated this one looks. And what is flinging that hay, a haybuchet?

Apologies for the terrible joke, just one of a zillion things that go through the mind during hours of scan, label, file, repeat.

There is also time to think about how different my life is from theirs. Some years before these photos were taken some of the people in them walked 2400 km to a new life, then there was another big shift to another new life, the one I am looking at. I can’t even imagine co-ordinating walking entire families that far, through whatever weather, eating only bread, cider and sour milk offered by strangers along the road. And how to even find the right roads, without all the street signs we have today?

Besides a good map I think I’d want a series of serious foot massages.

2 comments:

* said...

i think i need a haybuchet.

wonderful that you have so many old photos.

bhán said...

I wish I had more shots of the haybuchet! I have two but no close-up view.

I was lucky to find a packet of photos and a couple postcards in a painted box my grandmother left me when she died. I'm scanning them so that I can share when I travel to visit relatives. I'm also trying to collect stories that haven't been written up, but most of them haven't been committed to paper for a reason, so I am still trying to convince a few people to spill!